Safety Tips for Seniors to Prevent a Fall
It’s important for seniors to be aware of the potential dangers present in the home and prepare accordingly. A fall could lead to serious bodily damage and pain. It is best to be diligent and prepare your home to eliminate danger of a fall.
Here are some safety tips to do in your home:
- Be aware of sudden changes in surfaces such as curbs or ramps that can cause a loss of balance and result in a fall.
- When walking in the dark, a person's balance can be worse. Use a nightlight or have a lamp near the bed to improve safety when getting up at night.
- Install power failure lights to prevent walking in the dark. These simple devices can be installed in electrical outlets and are especially helpful near stairs.
- One cause of dizziness results from sudden changes in position. Clench your hands and wiggle toes prior to standing will reduce this form of dizziness.
- Remove throw rugs and damaged floor coverings to eliminate falls.
- Avoid tripping by removing clutter from all walkways.
- Keep a phone close by to make it easier to answer the phone.
- Rearrange furniture to provide a path for ease in walking. It’s best to have a straight walking path, with no furniture to walk around.
- Avoid use of extension cords by arranging furniture so that outlets are more easily available for lamps and appliances.
- Leave a light on in your bathroom at night.
- Use recommended bath aids, securely installed on the walls of the bath/shower stall and on the sides of the toilet.
- Use of a tub seat or shower chair along with a handheld shower massage with extra-long cord may help avoid slips.
- If possible, bathe only when help is available.
- Keep floors clean and uncluttered.
- Keep areas well lit.
Call Barbara Michaluk, Realtor at 240-506-2434 to discuss how much your home is worth in Leisure World of Maryland or to schedule a tour of the community.
Barbara Michaluk, Realtor
Email: email@example.com / Web: BarbaraSellsMDhomes.com
Authorized Leisure World Specialist / Senior Real Estate Specialist /
Internet Marketing Specialist / Certified E-Pro / Certified Staging Agent
Weichert Realtors / 3816 International Dr / Silver Spring, MD 20906